Monday, October 20, 2008

Max's Quilt

Way back in June I decided to splurge with my birthday money and buy a sewing machine! Back in Idaho my dear friend, Esther, taught me the basics of sewing and even helped me make my wedding dress! Truth be told, she did most of the work, but I tried! After all the wedding sewing was done we started work on feathering my nest: curtains, a bed skirt, simple clothes, and eventually I was sewing for Ruby! I have consistantly had a problem with overbuying in the fabric department, so I had a lot of extra yellow and orange flannel leftover from making diaper inserts. I decided that I would attempt to make a quilt out of them.

As it turned out, I didn't have nearly enough fabric and decided to buy some boyish fabrics to make a toddler bed sized quilt for Maxwell. I ended up with a rather eclectic collection of camo, cowboy, music notes, and everything in between! This is a close up of the rag quilt after sewing and clipping was done, but before I had washed it again to get that "rag effect". A huge thank you must be given to my dear hubby who did at least half of the snipping while watching TV! That is hard work on your hands even with the spring loaded scissors.

Here's a picture of the whole quilt before washing. The back of the quilt is a pattern of white, yellow, light orange, orange, and red flannel. It looks like a normal block quilt on the back. There is also an inner layer of flannel to add a little weight and warmth.

I was a little concerned at this point that it was looking too red on the front side, but once I washed it, things did improve some and I think that it will look better and better with each successive wash.





Here's the finished quilt! The only thing that I wasn't crazy about in the end product is that I wished I would have used less flannel patterns on the top side because it is prone to pilling. Other than that I'm really pleased with my first effort. Ruby has already picked out the fabric for her quilt, so that's my next project. At least that's one reason to look forward to the cold winter months--less time outside and more time inside for sewing!!

Last, but not least, I want to wish my sister, Christina, a happy birthday!! I hope you have a fantabulous day!!

3 comments:

Lauren said...

It is SO precious! Someday I will attempt to sew something real :) But for now, I'll stick to my simple ladybug costumes! You did a great job--long distance high-five!

Anonymous said...

I am so impressed! Good job. It really did turn out great with all the different patterns, textures, and I love the frings effect.

You are really coming along with your sewing skills. Have fun with Ruby's quilt next.

Momma K

John, Kisti, Maren & Silas Felps said...

Great job! That was definitely a labor of LOVE:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...