Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Bowling Night

It's things like this that make me really appreciate my hubby and love him even more.  His lifelong motto is to "enjoy the journey" and he's constantly encouraging me to abandon my pessimistic tendencies and join him for the ride.  I'm sorry to say that I don't join him nearly as often as I should, but I really am trying to revise my ways.  

A perfect 
opportunity arose Monday night when I discovered that the neighbor who had volunteered to babysit so that Jared and I could go out for coffee for an hour had had to cancel for the third time in a row.  I was a bit annoyed that not only had I gotten MY hopes up, but once again, had gotten Ruby's hopes up for a playdate with her friend.  Instead of wallowing in frustration with me, my Super Hubby said, "Well, why don't we all go out bowling tomorrow night?" 

"Bowling?! On a week night?!"  This was my initial response.
 
After a little bit of cajoling, I was in.  We ditched the menu for the night and our bedtime routine and just took off.  First we stopped by a previously unknown pizza joint for some de-licious Chicken Ranch pizza--YUM (my tummy is growling again just thinking about how good it was).  Then we headed on to the bowling alley.  

This was actually Ruby's third time bowling, but the first that she's been able to get shoes in her size and heft her own four pound ball.  She had a great time bowling, though with her amazing backspin some of those balls took a loooong time making it down the alley.  All but two did make it though and she never really cared whether she hit one pin or five.  Every single turn after releasing the ball she would turn around and run to us saying, "I WON!!!"  And she had.

Max was absolutely torn up that there were no shoes in his size.  He took off his shoes when we all did and then tried to steal Jared's to put on.  Needless to say, they were a bit big!  I did let him help me roll the ball a few times, but his greatest joy was trying to get balls off of the ball return and racing up and down the length of the building! 

Apparently the owner enjoyed watching us as much as we enjoyed bowling because he ended up giving each of the kids a stuffed bear decked out in Patriots and Red Sox gear respectively.  

So, shake things up a little bit and go bowling on a week night with your kids.  It's a great workout and you'll all have a ball!



3 comments:

Lesa said...

you have such a good husband...the lord knew exactly what you needed when he put you two together! I wish we were close enough to watch the two pumpkins so you two could go out!

Anonymous said...

They didn't have shoes to fit Max, but they DID have them for Jared? I'm impressed! Sounds like fun. Wish we were there or at least closer.
Momma K

Tim said...

I get as much from reading the other comments to your post as I do from what you post. You 2 are doing it right (in terms of parenting). Keep that spontaneity, your kids pick it up and carry it on.

Reading your thoughts is encouraging. Thank you. Lots of Love from AZ.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...