Friday, October 17, 2008

Conway Scenic Railroad

Our weekend was capped off by a trip to North Conway to ride on the scenic railroad. I had been wanting to do this since last spring, so it was a big treat!
This is the historic North Conway station, built in 1874. The building was designed by Boston architect, Nathaniel J. Bradlee.

Our train was pulled bu the 7470 steam locomotive. I think the conductor said we used about one ton of coal for our 11 mile trip (55 minutes)! That blew me away!!



Here's our conductor. I wonder who does all that coal shoveling!?! ;)


The train was sold out, so we ended up having the kids on our laps so that we could all sit together. They didn't mind though--gave them a better view out the windows!


Anne and Max enjoyed checking out some of the other trains that were "parked". (Obviously I'm not up on my train lingo! Looks like I'll have to sit in on some more episodes of Thomas!)


There were about half a dozen cabooses that now serve as private homes! Although it looks kind of cute I think that those would be pretty tight quarters for permanent living!


A view of the mountains from the train. We were on the valley train, though there is also a "notch" train that travels through the mountains. We decided that the 5 hour journey would be a bit much for our crowd!


One of the creek we crossed on the train. The weather was so beautiful. I think I'm most appreciative of God's handiwork this time of year! He really pulls out the stops!


Daddy and Max enjoying the ride! There was a baby girl sitting across from them that Max was pretty entranced with. I think he would have asked for her number if he were a few years older!


Our happy train car! We lucked out with open windows. It was such a lovely trip! Apparently they also run all year round--wouldn't it be beautiful in the snow?! Wow! Sounds like a good activity for the kids and I while Daddy hits the ski slopes.

Hope you enjoyed a peek at our weekend. It was a wonderful adventure! Come and visit us anytime--we'd love to join you on your own New England adventure!

1 comment:

Tim said...

Wasn't that train a blast. I bet the kids jumped (and mom & dad?) the first time the steam whistle blew. Glad you could do this. Lots of love from AZ.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...