Thursday, September 4, 2008

Opinions anyone?

I don't know if anyone ever looks at my Shelfari Shelf (on the sidebar), but if you do, you might have noticed this book, The Shack by William Young. I started reading it a few weeks ago and was bawling my eyes out from about page 2. The thought of losing one of my kids in some violent way (or any way at all) really challenged my thinking. How would I react to something like this. Would I blame God or lean on Him?

The Shack challenged a lot of gut feelings I've had about God. Am I going to keep God on His throne (where He rightly belongs) or allow Him to become intimately close to me (where He also rightly belongs!). I totally resonated with Mac's statement that he always thought the whole pearly gates, golden roads thing sounded a bit boring compared to the beauty here. God just did such an amazing job creating this universe that I can't imagine anything better. The explanations and descriptions given in this book, while not fact, gave me a different insight at what heaven might be like... totally amazing, never a let down, and most importantly a place where I'll be with Jesus. He'll always have the time for me personally that I need. While I know in my head that this is true now, it is harder to hear His voice and feel His touch here.

As much as I appreciated some aspects of the book, there were others that I totally disagreed with. As much as I believe that God loves and welcomes everyone on earth to come to Him, I do believe that it's explicitly clear in the Word that the only way to heaven is through Jesus (John 14:6). There are not many roads leading to God, only one.

This book has caused a lot of stir, all of which I was totally oblivious of until after I started reading the book. If you've read it, what did you think? If you haven't, what have you heard?

2 comments:

J Katy Garner said...

Hey Bethany... I actually was warned not to read it because of the child part. I read at night and dream vividly so I was afraid it would give me nightmares! Although I have also heard the buzz surrounding it, so I loved your take on it all.

Lesa said...

Loved it! I put it off due to the child part, but its not the main part of the book....It was exactly what I needed as far as grasping what and who the character of God is and how he feels about me.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...