Thursday, April 9, 2009

High Falls

Last Saturday we went on a family outing to Dupont National Forest to visit some waterfalls. Once we got on the trail, however, it was clear that we were maybe going to see ONE waterfall, if we were lucky. The kids had apparently been pushed like miniature iron men all week with all of our strenuous activities and were just not all that keen on hiking. Part of the problem, I'm sure, is that they feel if Daddy is along they have a better chance of being carried. Too bad for them, Daddy sprained his ankle and had a hard time just limping along on his own!

By some miracle, we made it the 0.3mi or so to the covered bridge at the top of High Falls. Daddy and Max enjoyed peering over the edge, Ruby enjoyed resting in the shade (see next photo). The rock at the top was very smooth and looked like it would also be very slippery. I suppose there are still fishermen who love to walk out there, but it was totally off limits for my crew. I even insisted that Max stand back a ways to throw rocks in. He winds up so hard there are times he throws himself in with the rocks. Not a good idea!

Another necessity on the trail for us is a plethora of snack food. If the kids don't have access to peanut butter crackers, gummies, and trail mix, they really feel as if a one mile hike may kill them. We have learned, however, that we must walk with our snacks otherwise we'll spend the whole day sitting around and snacking. Doesn't sound so bad in theory, I suppose, but I'd rather do it in a lounge chair. Not to mention, I'm trying to slim down, not beef up!

Anyhoo, after seeing the top of the falls, we thought the experience would really be incomplete if we didn't see the falls themselves, so we took a bit of a short cut to get down to the real view. The kids were somewhat revived after the covered bridge stop and managed to carry on.

We did stop once again for a photo op on an old stump...

I thought this photo of Max and Jared was just adorable! They were having a great time together, as always.

We also saw many families and dogs on the trail, a source of great excitement and amusement for Max, who spent most of the day shouting, "Buppy! Buppy!".

A puppy, or dog, has been on all of our minds of late. We're closing on our house in less than a
week and are starting to think that we really would like to have a dog. Not just because it would be fun (and a lot of work, I know!), but also for some protection when hiking. Many people have been telling us that they don't think I ought to hike with the kids on my own. They suggest that I only go when Jared can come along and that we should carry a gun. The whole thing just seems a little bit ridiculous to me. I want to be outside with the kids. It's one of the main reasons we moved here and we aren't going to give it up. So, we've decided to start pup hunting and I'll also carry a can of bear mace from now on... just in case.

And now, finally, we have reached the viewing area! I took several useless videos of guys sliding down the left side of the falls. Let me tell you. If I thought Sliding Rock looked scary, this is 100 times worse! I do hope that Jared has some friends come to visit this summer that will be willing to slide with him because I'm sure he'd have a hoot. The kids and I will stay on shore and take pictures.

It's drier that way. And safer. And warmer.

Check back to tomorrow for more adventures!

2 comments:

AllisonTheeonn said...

Your adventures sound amazing! I must admit, I'm a little bit jealous! I love reading about all of them!

Ann(i)e said...

If you haven't discovered this already, it's a great resource: www.petfinder.com
I found both Luna and Dylan this way.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...