Thursday, March 20, 2008

a wee little dental rant

A few days ago I went to the dentist and was told that I need FOUR fillings due to grinding / clenching my teeth at night and ONE possible root canal. He also prescribed a night guard to stop my clenching, which most dental insurance does not cover. Oh, and by the way, they cost $650!!



So, between just the fillings and the night guard I was up to about $800--not including the possible root canal.


I got home and I was pretty much in tears. We are not really raking in the dough here and I felt terrible. How could things have gotten so bad with my teeth!? And the one thing that really got to me was that most of the problems were due to something I can't control--namely, what happens while I sleep-- yet, the insurance company would rather have me in dentures at age 30 than foot the bill for the night guard.


Anyhoo, Super Hubby to the rescue... Jared found a site called Nightguardlab.com that we'll be able to use to get the same night guard at less that a third of the cost. I am SO thankful. The maybe root canal is still looming large in my future... but at least we've trimmed a few hundred off the bill.


Jared goes in for his big check up in another couple weeks, so we'll see what they say about his chompers. We're praying for a mouth full of keepers!!

2 comments:

Sherry said...

UGH. I feel your pain. Dental is so expensive as we are finding out with #3's orthodontics! Be thankful that the binky is not part of Ruby's future anymore...even if it means no naps!

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain, too. I had similar grinding problems when I was younger, got so bad my jaw was locking up on me and I could barly open my mouth. My dentist suggested sleep with a mouthguard, too, but he said just go to a sports goods store and buy a football guard! Worked wonderfully! Just a cheaper thought, should you need to replace your guard.

later
Mat

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...