Sunday, June 1, 2008

Beloved

I have been reading a lot of Francine Rivers books lately (which you already know if you ever look at my Shelfari shelf on the sidebar. Anyway, I really love how Rivers constantly uses the word, "Beloved" when the Holy Spirit is prompting people to remember or do things. Each of us is truly the Lord's "beloved"--a concept that blows me away every time I consider it.

I've been feeling a bit "beaten down" lately and just really not liking my reactions to various situations. It has been a battle for me not to sit up at night analyzing all of the things I just don't like about this sinful me.

This song we sang at church just hit home in a big way for me today. It's an oldie but goodie by Charitie L. Bancroft (1863), though the tune we used is a bit more jazzed up than the original...

Before the throne of God above, I have a strong and perfect Plea;
a great High Priest whose Name is Love, Who ever lives and pleads for me.
My name is graven on His hands, my name is written on His heart.
I know that while in heaven He stands no tongue can bid my thence depart...
no tongue can bid me thence depart.

When Satan tempts me to despair and tells me of the guilt within,
upward I look and see Him there Who made an end to all my sin.
Because the sinless Savior died my sinful soul is counted free,
for God the just is satisfied to look on Him and pardon me...
to look on Him and pardon me.

Before Him there the risen Lamb, my perfect spotless Righteousness,
the great unchangeable I AM, the King of glory and of grace.
One with Himself I cannot die. My soul is purchased with His blood,
my life is hid with Christ on high, with Christ my Savior and my God...
with Christ my Savior and my God.

That second verse resonated with me so much-- "SATAN tempts me to despair and tells me of the guilt within"! Why can't we leave these things at the foot of the cross as God wants? It sure is hard to change without that first critical step. I don't have anything really inspirational to say about some huge victory over sin, but for those that are in the trenches with me, I hope that this song touches you and encourages you to move forward as it has for me. We are His Beloved, it's time we start acting like it.

1 comment:

Lauren said...

I LOVE this song. We sang it one year in chorus at LCU and the arrangement was so beautiful. It still gives me chills when I listen to it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...