Friday, January 2, 2009

What did YOU do for New Years?

I did something a little bit crazy a few weeks ago. I brought home a flyer for the "Hangover Classic" for Jared. The 5K/10K race was to take place on New Years Day and was capped off by the optional ocean plunge. Yes, an ocean plunge. On January 1st. In Northern Massachusetts. Crazy. But, I know my husband and this is the kind of thing he lives for.

So, here's what we did yesterday...


Here's Jared all bundled up and Vaselined up for his face. Temperatures were 10F. But with the 35mph winds, the corrected temperature was -18F!! It was TERRIBLE. I'm pretty sure it's about the coldest I've ever felt and I was wearing two turtlenecks, a winter coat, scarf, and hat! Jared was wearing considerably less.


The start of the race was a bit chaotic. Since we had a pretty significant snowstorm on New Years Eve, it was very snowy and no clear route markers. It was interesting to see how the others dressed--some in winter coats, others in shorts, and even one guy in a gorilla suit!


Here's my hero sprinting to the finish! I'm not sure what the time was, but I think around 29 minutes along with the bulk of the crowd. It was slow going in the slushy snow!


Next we hurried down to the beach. Jared stripped down and raced down the icy sand into the surf, screaming like a wild man the whole way.

And here comes my hypothermic hubby! It wasn't pretty getting him warm and dry... but apparently it was worth it since he got a glass out of the deal!

I hope your New Years was as memorable as ours. I know this is one New Years I'LL never forget!

6 comments:

Lauren said...

Oh, Jared. I'm not surprised that he did the ocean plunge. I can't believe how cold it was! Definitely a holiday to remember! :) In answer to your question, we went to see the Tale of Despereaux. It was quite cute.

Tom said...

Wow! You got a lot of man points for that one Jared. Remember Montery Beach, everyone thought Clint was crazy. Hey, Thanks for the Christmas letter and we had a quiet New Years Eve at home (no kids). I couldn't stay awake to watch the ball drop in NYC.

Anonymous said...

Oh, that son of mine! I'm not a bit surprised. Happy new year!
Momma K

Tim said...

You know the definition of insanity, doing the same thing expecting a different result. We'll know if Jared is certifiable if he repeats this next year. A lot tougher than me. Happy New Year and Lots of Love from the AZ Armstrongs.

SRM said...

That actually kinda looks like fun. Next year it's a family affair?

If you have time, would you send an e-mail to Aunt Bev (Aunt Ruth's sister). She just got an e-mail address and is learning how to use it. Think she would get a kick out of hearing from family. Her e-mail address is schambersb@yahoo.com

bluesky said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...