Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Hooker Falls

Ruby, Max, and I have been taking advantage of the sunny days to go on short hikes in the area. I thought it would be fun to show you all of the waterfalls that we visit on our travels. Of course many of them are longer hikes than I'll be able to tackle with the kids on my own, but for now there are still quite a few for us to visit.

Here is a view of Hooker Falls in DuPont State Forest. It's a relatively small waterfall that looks like a wonderful swimming hole in warmer weather. The water is relatively show moving in the large pool at the bottom. I'm sure you could easily go up under the falls (if you weren't toting a 2 and 4 year old that is!).

The lighting wasn't on my side, but I thought this side waterfall was the prettiest part.

Ruby and Max can't go far without lots of snacks. We're not doing any endurance treks, but we have fun!

On our way back we stopped along the river to watch folks on the Triple Falls trail. Ruby took LOTS of photos while Max threw rocks in the river. Her favorite subjects are rocks, dirt and people's feet. I must admit, most of those shots hit the recycle bin!

The water is relatively slow here too--looks like another great swimming hole. Now all we need is the warm weather!
We've started calling our little hikes visits to "God's Playground". I have to admit I enjoy this playground a lot more than the man-made ones around town. Just me and my kiddos enjoying creation and learning a little bit about it as we wander. What a beautiful world God has blessed us with!

2 comments:

SRM said...

Couldn't tell if my Shelfari response to you went through so thought I'd come here and repeat it. I like the "Vicky Bliss" series better than the "Amelia Peabody" books (which is a bit "flowery" as you put it). However, she puts enough Egyptian mythology in both to keep me going back to the books.
You certainly seem to have a lot of waterfalls in the area - ever do whitewater canoeing?

Jared said...

We haven't done any canoeing or kayaking, but it is very popular here, as is fishing. I think we'll be holding off on the boating activities until the kids are older. Transylvania County (where we live) actually has the most waterfalls in the country--something like 250 named waterfalls! I just picked up a map at the Ranger Station today with some more that are doable for us--I just have to make sure the drive part isn't too long or the kids get really bored!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...